Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Earthquake in Ghana

A couple of nights ago, I was peacefully sleeping in my bed when I hear banging on the door at 4 AM. My roommate, Courtney, asks me what we should do and I tell her not to open the door, because the person might have a knife. Luckily, the door-banger was Zahava, our suitemate, who was unarmed. I quickly put on a skirt and rushed outside to wait for the infamous earthquake. Everyone was outside waiting in the middle of the night (though it was practically morning for Ghanaian because they typically wake up around 5). We waited on the curb of the road for about a half an hour in our pajamas for the earthquake, but it never came. Turns out, the earthquake was just a rumor that spread throughout the whole Greater Accra Region. I guess rumors really do spread quickly. We all went back upstairs to our rooms, only to be awakened shortly thereafter by the chicken who wander around outside our dorms, but that's a daily occurrence.

3 comments:

  1. For more information about this, read Ghana Business News on line. Funny! (tho' not so funny becaue of Haiti).
    BTW, does anyone know how you actually can subscribe to this and be alerted for updates in the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LUCKILY Zahava was unarmed.
    -Formo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wanted excitement . Don't open the door ro strangers. Gram

    ReplyDelete