Thursday, January 7, 2010

Airport Adventures

Some of you may know that I have quite the unusual route to Ghana. I flew from Boston to Toronto to Brussels to London to Accra. Each time I had to go through security and my carry-ons had unconventional things in them, like an electric tea kettle. So here are the highlights from each airport:

1. Boston- My peanut butter was confiscated, which was tragic. I was planning on eating that one jar of peanut butter for many meals throughout my adventure. The security guard took the peanut butter and told me I couldn't take it. When I tried to explain that this peanut butter was my only source of food he laughed and told the other guard. He said creams are not allowed and it says "creamy peanut butter," therefore I could not take it. I then proceeded to call my parents and cry.

2. Toronto- I took Jet Air, which is an Indian airline. The passengers travel in clans with an unbelievable amount of luggage. It seems that many of them literally packed up their whole lives and checked in on the plan. Then for boarding, the airport personnel announced "rows 30 and higher; we are ONLY boarding rows 30 and higher." This announcement was made several times because the vast majority of people in line was not in row 30 or higher. One guy argued that rows 30 and higher means rows 1-30. Somehow, I just don't understand how numbers less than 30 are higher than thirty...

3. Brussels- While going through security there was a list of things you can't bring. They listed shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, and drippy cheese.

4. London- Basically London was a disaster. First of all the airport was FRIGID. Mom- I needed my second sweatshirt there. Second of all, our flight left about 7 hours late. We boarded two hours late and then we had to sit on the plane for 5 hours as we waited in line to have a plane de-iced. Though there were some good times. The flight was predominately college students and there was free alcohol so it turned into a partaaaay. It was quite the seen. I ended up making friends with the girl sitting next to me, with whom I have multiple mutual friends. Quite the small world!!!

Unfortunately, Chartock, I could not take pictures of the airport in Ghana because it's illegal. But I'll tell you this, the Accra airport is like no airport you've ever seen. It sort of feel like an unkempt public school. The walls are painted bright colors and its a cement building with low ceilings. The bathroom has two stalls with broken seats a bugs crawling all over. There was soap in a water bottle. Claiming my lost luggage was a whole other ordeal, taking about an hour in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity. Finally, I filed the claim, met up with my couselor, and passed out at the hotel after traveling for almost 48 hours.

10 comments:

  1. I am glad that I was proven wrong and that 2 sweatshirts were needed for this trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your posts coming. They are great!--Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Yamiti!!!! Post pictures!
    -Shosh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if they would have confiscated chunky peanut butter --Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. yamit....thanks for the full description. A story is worth a thousand pictures, as I've always said.
    -Chart

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAMIT!!! please post pictures asap! have you tried the ghanaian handshake yet? miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OY - what a travel adventure. Did you get your lost luggage? I truly dislike TSA. Can't believe they took your peanut butter. I brought cranberry chutney (frozen) with me to Atlanta for Thanksgiving and they almost confiscated it, but ended up letting me take it. Have a GREAT TIME. Love, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. the most tragic part of this post is the lost peanut butter.
    also yamzo, on facebook they have this application that you can connect this blog to facebook and it lets all your fb friends know when you've updated. i think it's called blogger or something.
    miss you and glad you made it safe!
    Formo

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow... this is gonna be a great blog! Way to grab the readers in and keep them asking for more!
    haha. anyways, I'm realllllly excited for you and cant wait to hear more!

    -adina

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are safe and happy; devastated on your behalf at the loss of the peanut butter. A couple jars of PB got me through my junior year in Israel.
    It's ghana be a great year.
    Love,Heather

    ReplyDelete