Monday, January 4, 2010

Anticipation! It's makin' me wait, keepin' me late!

As I ponder my departure to a foreign land full of malaria, Twi, and taro, I would like to thank Julianna for the title of this blog. Without you, it would be impossible for me to so cleverly update you on my potentially life-altering, exotic future endeavors. Of course, there are the inevitable worries: no electricity, British imperialism, and of course, the lack of high quality Kosher food.

I sit upon my comfy bed here at 54 Ballard on the eve my departure, my heart heavy with trepidation accompanied with an odd, yet simple grace of eager anticipation. Though I am tired and seem to have a bit of a cold, I know that any qualms and anxious sentiments will disintegrate into the warm sun of Western Africa.

Ever since the seventh grade, I have been determined to experience Africa first hand. I wanted to live in the land, to understand the culture, to be ingrained in the powerful history of Africa. Now, in these tumultuous times, I will rise above each and every AIG executive and
Roberto Micheletti* to achieve something more, to make this world a better place. I will finally be able to pursue my dream, and I am forever indebted to those who have made this experience possible, especially my seventh grade English teacher.

I cannot say for certain how Ghana will affect me, nor can I predict how I will affect the proud nation of Ghana. For now, I will leave you with this ancient Ghanian proverb: One should never rub bottoms with a porcupine.

* The leader of Honduras' de facto government following the nation's sad and unfortunate coup.


11 comments:

  1. Great first post Yamit, missing you already!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a fine, fun-filled, educationally exciting, culturally expanding adventure. Keep your eyes wide open for what Ghana has to offer you and you to Ghana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yamit-

    Have fun, and take some pictures of the airport.
    -Chart

    and come back safe, too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you are a great writer! So witty too! I am very impressed thus far. Also, do not listen to anything ben8000 says. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're a cutie. BE SAFE HAVE FUN! -Yuli

    ReplyDelete
  6. brilliant title to the blog. i'm liking it so far. love,
    naomi (formo)

    ReplyDelete
  7. (who helped you be so witty?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hold on, Yamit, are you going to Ghana or is Gabi? That first post really sounds a lot like him...

    Love,
    Your Favorite Cousin (Sarah)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are a lot of smart people here re: the writing! Is it possible for Y to be so witty? She'll have no help in Ghana.
    Yamit - Don't forget to tell about the peanut butter incident at the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Yamit,

    How goes life without peanutbutter? Have an outstanding adventure. I'll be keeping up with you!
    :)
    Carol Miller

    ReplyDelete