Monday, April 12, 2010

Passover in Israel

Needless to say, being in Israel was great. I saw lots of friends and family, but more importantly I ate a lot and consistently had running water. I seriously forgot what it's like to not have to worry about the water running out at any point. It's really reassuing to know that I will have a toilet with running water. Back to the food...not only did I eat a lot, the food was actually good (it was quite disappointing returning to canned beans for Shabbat dinner). Before Passover began, I made sure to eat as much Chametz as possible including, but not limited to bagels, shwarma, pasta, and pizza. Over Passover, I was still impressed by the food. I stayed with Rivky and Zahava's sister for the first Shabbat and I spent the seder with Sandy, Arlene, Tamar, and Jonah (aunt, uncle, and cousins) at their friend's gorgeous home, which was really nice. Most importantly, the food was great. Then I went to Aviel's dorm at Hebrew University (friend from high school) and spent several days with her and our other friend, Plasky. We relaxed a lot, ate great food, and walked around. We went to Tel-Aviv for a day, which was fun. I had pizza and I actually couldn't tell that it was kosher for Passover. It's amazing the thing you can do with potato starch. Then, for the next Shabbat, I went to Raanana to Karen Seidenwar's family, one of my closest friend's from seminary and I spent several days there with her and Aviel. I used to go to her house all the time when I was in Israel and it was really natural going back.

The flight back to Ghana was fine. Nothing too eventful. Going through passport control is different in Ghana. I'm not sure whether the guard was joking or not, but he was trying to convince me that my visa wasn't acceptable for students, but I convinced him otherwise. If he was joking, it certainly was not funny. After I got through immigration, some man kept asking "to be my friend" and when we can meet again. I told him he can come to Legon to see me and he can find me there (keep in mind there are about 30,000 students here). Oh I was back in Ghana!!!!

When I returned to the dorm, surprisingly enough there was no water.

5 comments:

  1. You could have come over to our basement where there was plenty of water! Glad Pesach was good- we had a great time at your parents' seder. We missed you!
    Love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you had such a nice trip to Israel and made it back safely to Ghana. Hope that by now you have water again. I guess you'll never take the comforts of home for granted again. We did miss you at Pesach - your name was mentioned many times. Love, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what seder these other commenters were at, but ok you were missed. It's certainly part of the experience of living outside one's comfort zone, and there is always a lot to be said for that.
    May the fun continue in Legon at the U!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yamit,

    You were certainly missed at yet another amazing Remz seder experience however, I must tell you - Gabi did a great job holding down the fort. Not only did he make a kugel, but he led an excellent discussion about Shifrah and Puah, and non violent resistance -- something he learned in Dov Bard's class. You know I am really proud of both of you, and, I am soooo glad you were able to go to Israel for Pesach - sounds like you had a wonderful time...you know what they say...there's no place like home...miss you. Love, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for great posting! I am so glad you have lots of fun, it makes me be so happy cause I go to Israel next week! Its wonderful place for visiting. I am going there third time :)

    ReplyDelete